Virginia to Georgia:



This page gives links to the creations of information gathered to examine the process by which Virginian migrants to the frontiers of Georgia fashioned their particular identity as a planter elite in the post-revolutionary South. Study of this migrant community, is a point of access not only to the culture of the southern backcountry, but the difficult question of how elites mediated the upheavals of Virginian society during the latter half of the eighteenth-century.

and 

Some insight into the development of the lives of African Americans of this time and era.



Goosepond

As my ‘armchair genealogy’ research continues, I find myself delving into the history of the Jamestown Colony of 1607 and beyond which I hadn’t done since school days. Guess I should’ve known since I was aware that some of my ancestors had lived in Virginia like the Barnetts who migrated to Georgia early on. Yet it’s been quite surprising to discover links to the historical Jamestown settlement and time period for I had no idea my ancestors had been quite that busy or involved! Even so, I had found years ago that tobacco growing so depletes soil that emigration resulted to the more fertile areas of the 13th Colony of Georgia as evidenced by settlers to the Goosepond District, its soil fertilized for centuries by…you guessed it…goose poo. Legend says it was an awesome sight as thousands of migratory geese lifted off from the area each year and continued their journey.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claude Bernhard Dansby

A Partial listing of African-American hangings since 1859.