Charlie Smith

Good Family Folks!




So finding my great grandfather Charlie Smith has been quite the journey. I found lots of Charlie Smith's in the Oglethorpe/Athens area of Georgia in 1930, but they were all marked single and with the name Charlie, I mean really G-whiz. Being that my paternal side is Jones/Smith, I have found I could literally be related to any and everyone.

At first I was under the impression that he died in Athens. My Paternal side (My lovely and sweet aunts) remembers his children fondly and vividly and they knew His name and his living situation.

Side step: This situation is different because our grandfather ran away and lived in a shed at the age of 13 after disagreements with his treatment by his stepmother. His mother was by some accounts deceased when he was a young child. (Although, I have theories on that I will share later)Therefore, as you can imagine the relationship had its challenges.

Back on track..

During my routine search of death records I found him in Fulton county. While a lot of my current family moved to and are from Atlanta, Georgia (Fulton County)we had no idea he died in Atlanta. While I was indeed looking for Charlie Smith, when I looked, I was truly @ best hoping to find a relative. However in 1936 in Fulton county while living with his sister and her husband great grand Charlie passed away of pulmonary tuberculosis.

Indeed his brother - n - law Isaac Ransom was the informant on the death certificate. Isaac (Annie "Aunt Babe" Ransom) was able to confirm the parentage, and document that at the time of his death he was listed as single.

Which of course leads to was he ever married to my grandfather's "step mother" , what happened to his children of that "union". What happened that led him to move to Atlanta?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Claude Bernhard Dansby

A Partial listing of African-American hangings since 1859.